The Second Half: Lifelong Learning Institute is a community-based membership, self-governing, non-profit organization whose programs provide intellectual stimulation and social interaction.
The Second Half provides opportunities for residents of southeastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island to participate in study groups, interest groups, lectures, and special events, so members can expand their knowledge as well as their social circles. We have fun. Classes are convenient, meeting once a week during daytime hours in either our classrooms at 205 Bedford St., Fall River, or in satellite locations.
The classes are small and informal, providing an atmosphere where ideas are freely exchanged and debated, as well as the time to reflect upon the discussions and experiences of others. The Second Half is an ideal vehicle for sharing life experiences, exploring unfamiliar and interesting ideas and issues, and better understanding a changing world and your place in it. At the moment we have almost 400 members.
The Second Half is affiliated with Road Scholar: Adventures in Lifelong Learning.
Here’s a sampling of Second Half offerings:
- Study groups in art, science, history, religion, politics, music, languages. writing and literature.
- Interest groups in bridge, cooking, digital photography, film, theater, tennis, knitting and handbells.
- Trips – local day trips around MA, RI and Conn. and international travel
- Social events – social gatherings and biannual luncheons
- Facebook social media experience in The Second Half Cafe
- Special lectures
To get a better sense of the kinds of study and interest groups one might expect to find in the Second Half, please see the list of classes offered in the past.
Our study groups and interest groups are determined and chosen by member interest every semester, and membership is open to all.
- A fee of $35 per academic year makes you a full member.
- A tuition of $150 per semester allows you to join two classes on any topic being offered. Additional classes are $30 per class.
Most classes are held in downtown Fall River, at The Second Half, 205 Bedford St, Fall River, MA. The classrooms are there on the first floor. There is a cafe next door and free parking across the street. A few classes are held off site. All classes are held during the day.
Learn more about us
Contact us at 508.677.4694, or email@example.com